I have finally found out my departure date. I will be leaving on December 28 from Washington-Dulles Airport in D.C. I was also told that I would receive my in-county placement very soon. This is all very exciting. The trip seems real now that I have a ticket to Namibia. It is also more evident to me how soon I am leaving and the thought of saying goodbye for a year to my family and friends seems much more difficult. I have been doing research about the history and culture of the country and this makes me excited. I spent a couple of hours the other night watching Namibian music videos on you tube. Here is one by a Kwaito artist. Kwaito is Namibia's most popular music genre and is similar to Hip Hop. Here is one by a Namibian pop duet.
I also wanted to thank all of you who have so generously donated to my trip. I encourage those of you who are considering donating to please do so. My fundraising has been successful and I am getting closer to covering the cost of my trip. One of the great things about my program is that every dollar that World teach receives in my name that exceeds my project cost will go towards my programming in country. Besides teaching classes like Math, English or Science, I have the opportunity to begin clubs at the school. One of World Teach Namibia's major goals is to spread awareness to the students about HIV/AIDS. There are over 200, 000 adults in Namibia living with HIV/AIDS. Keep in mind that Namibia is one of the most densely populated countries in the world. It has the 5th highest percentage of adults living with HIV/AIDS in the world. Being able to help spread awareness within the community would be very beneficial. In the past, volunteers have held events such as 5K runs and school field days in order to raise money for proper prevention materials and literature to use at their schools. They would not have been able to do this without the support of their communities at home. If you would like to help spread awareness within my Namibian community, please donate here.
Thanks for reading my blog and I will keep you updated on how my fundraising is going. Also, I hope that I have good news to share very soon regarding my placement. I am "patiently" waiting to find out.
No comments:
Post a Comment